Debbie Fortune of award winning firm, Debbie Fortune Estate Agents gives some tips to sellers of second hand homes.
‘ I prefer to call them PRELOVED!, ‘says Debbie , ‘they are always unique and have usually been personalised , created and much loved by their owners.’
‘However ...there is stiff competition out there and you only have to drive around our area to see numerous high profile developments giving the local housing market a run for its money and tempting local buyers with special offers and part exchange deals , and when talking to my clients, an increasing number are worrying that their homes just can’t compete with those on new developments, which have sparkling new kitchens and bathrooms, a high energy performance , and a stylish beautifully furnished show home to tempt you.’
‘Make no mistake , ‘ says Debbie, ‘ those developers simply HAVE to sell their units, by a certain date and for a certain price...so they will use ALL the tools at their disposal to achieve those sales and make a handsome profit...and they are very good at doing just that !
So what do you need to do to make your home as attractive as possible to those buyers looking to buy something in the area?
Here are Debbies ten top tips to achieve a sale and compete with the big developers.
- Price your house sensibly, taking advice from an established successful local estate agent.
- Declutter and get rid of any rubbish and stuff you don’t need.
- Paint or clean your front door...you never get a second chance to make a first impression, the same applies to your reception hall.
- Clean your home from top to bottom. Make it smell lovely!
- Tidy your front garden , plant up pots , even in winter. This is called kerb appeal.
- Think of the use for each room and stage it as such...rearranging furniture if necessary.
- Keep pets out of the way and avoid any nasty surprises in the garden.
- Make sure the heating is on for viewings...I guarantee you’ll never go into a cold show home!
- Look at your EPC. Would a simple change to low energy bulbs throughout your home improve its rating ?
- LASTLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY Choose the right estate agent and get to know them. Nothing beats a committed experienced team who will go out of their way to help you. Put up your chosen agents ‘ For Sale’ board...you may hate them but they work and developers love them...the bigger the better.
Debbie concludes , ‘ Remember all the positive things that make your home stand out. For example...a lot of older property has its own individual character , unusual features , a larger plot and a mature well stocked garden with the addition of garden buildings like summer houses, garden sheds and greenhouses plus garden features like patios, raised beds , pergolas and seating areas.’
'When you add up the cost of a trip to the garden centre , you suddenly realise just how much value things like this add to a house... and that’s before you take a trip to the DIY centre for curtain rails, curtains, light fittings ...and so the list goes on!’
‘So’ , says Debbie , ‘ you CAN compete by following a few tips that could make the difference between finding a buyer or watching in dismay as they move in to that new home down the road’
For any more advice about any aspect of selling your home , Please contact us at any of our offices in Backwell, Congresbury and Chew Magna.